Newborn photography is all about capturing the sweet moments before the infant grows up. If you are a new parent, you are probably seeking a professional photographer to click adorable pictures of your newborn. Or, if you are a newborn photographer, you might be searching for ways to improve your craft. So, read this newborn photography ultimate guide for the full scoop!
I provide newborn photography guidelines to help both parents and photographers have a safe and successful baby photography session. So let’s dive right into this infant photography guide!
What is Newborn Photography?
You might be wondering what exactly is newborn photography. Well, newborn photography, also known as infant photography or baby photography, is focused on clicking photographs of subjects less than two weeks old.
Newborn photography is a genre of photography that requires the safety of the subject as the primary focus and priority.
Are you interested in baby photography? It can be a fulfilling experience, dealing with precious little ones for a job. So, I have written this newborn photography ultimate guide to help budding photographers do their job safely and successfully.
Ultimate Guide to Newborn Photography
If you want to perfect your infant photography skills, you’re in the right place.
The Newborn Photography Ultimate Guide Will Cover:
- Camera Equipment/Gear for Newborn Photography
- Props and Accessories for Baby Photography
- How to Take Newborn Photographs
- Essential Tips for Infant Photography Sessions
- Newborn Photo Editing Before Delivery
Let’s dive into each of the points above, starting with camera equipment/gear.
Camera Equipment/Gear for Newborn Photography
How do you choose the best camera equipment for newborn photography?
The answer is simple. Use a DSLR camera to shoot RAW photos with diverse lenses for the perfect shot.
However, mirrorless cameras are also a great option, as they are silent and thus will not disturb the newborn.
Both of the options above will result in great-looking infant photographs.
Camera Settings for Baby Photography
In general, when shooting with manual settings, you need to adjust the exposure settings including aperture, ISO, and shutter speed.
- Shutter Speed – 1/160 s or above for moving babies.
- Aperture – f/4 and higher to keep the baby in focus.
- ISO – Use the lowest ISO possible to avoid grainy images.
Props and Accessories for Baby Photography
If you are a beginner newborn photographer, you do not need a whole props collection. Instead, start small with everyday objects like blankets, pillows, and colored clothing.
Once you get more business, you can use a wide range of props to make the baby photographs extra cute. For example:
- Cosy Baskets
- Wooden crates
- Seasonal props
- Stuffed animals
- Hats and headbands
- Bean Bag and blanket
How to Take Newborn Photographs
Okay! Now you have the camera equipment and the props ready to go. Therefore, you can start taking pictures!
Before you start always remember – Safety is Key.
During the planning stage, you should:
- Make a shot list for a smooth newborn photoshoot.
- Pose the baby gently in the desired position.
Then, when shooting the infant photographs, you should try to follow some essential tips.
Essential Tips for Infant Photography Sessions
Photographing babies can be challenging at the best of times. So, this newborn photography ultimate guide gives some essential tips to make your infant photography a success.
- Prioritize the safety of the newborn.
- Use white noise to keep the newborn calm.
- Use props and accessories carefully for creative images.
- Take photos of newborns before they reach two weeks old.
- Try to capture the natural expressions and poses of the baby.
- Photograph the baby when sleeping for peaceful-looking photos.
- Avoid overloading the infant with too many props and accessories.
- Work with the baby’s natural sleep patterns to get the best photos.
- Create a warm and consistent environment for the baby photo shoot.
- Apply caution when attempting complex or potentially hazardous poses.
- Take breaks and be patient during the shoot as babies can be tricky to photograph.
Newborn Photo Editing Before Delivery
Okay, you are now done with the baby photoshoot. You plug your memory card into your computer to view the images. However, there are some minor issues with the newborn photographs. What do you do?
Newborn photo editing is an essential part of the photography process. During the photoshoot, you will not be able to perfect everything. So, you can use photo editing software like Adobe Photoshop to remove imperfections and fix issues.
You can edit newborn photos yourself or get professional newborn photo editing services from experts. Either way, your client will thank you for the adorable pictures you took of their bundle of joy.
In conclusion, baby photography can be a challenging but rewarding experience.
One thing is for sure – if you read the complete newborn photography ultimate guide, you will know where to start. With time and practice, you can master infant photography and get more clients than you can handle.
I hope you enjoyed reading this ultimate guide on newborn photography.
Newborn Photography FAQs
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about newborn photography.
When should newborn photos be taken?
The best time for newborn photography is between 7 and 10 days after birth. Why? The younger the baby, the more likely they are to pose naturally like they are still in the womb.
Where do I find newborn photographers near me?
Use websites like Thumbtack and Yelp to search for newborn photographers in your area. Of course, you must not forget social media like Facebook or Instagram for locating talented photographers in your area.
How do I take great newborn photos?
Some tips to click great infant photographs:
- Use natural lighting.
- Perfect the timing and temperature of your shots.
- Capture the baby’s natural poses.
- Move around and take baby photos from different angles.